This is often provided at the same time as our Full Refurbishment Service as it enables us to improve the energy efficiency of your windows by installing modern materials.The usual indications that this service would be beneficial are rattling sashes with the wind howling through the gaps as well as the ingress of dust and also noise. At the same time, the action of raising and lowering the sashes can be difficult with the sashes juddering from side to side. We can improve all these aspects with noticeable results, as commented upon in our Testimonials section.A typical project would include the following steps:
- Staff and Parting beads removed and discarded.
- Upper and lower sashes released.
- Cords removed.
- Boxes and channels cleaned and any rough paintwork sanded down.
- Removal and replacement of any loose putty.
- Where appropriate re make Mortice and Tenon joints.
- Install new Sash cords.
- Weigh sashes and where needed, adjust weights to ensure correct balance before re hanging.
- Upper sash re-hung.
- New timber Parting beads fitted. (A plastic version is also available)
- Draught proofing system installed into bottom sash Meeting rail.
- Lower sash re-hung.
- Install new Staff Beads containing brush pile to inner edge of boxes.
- Apply Stopping to all pins heads and decorator’s caulk to joints between boxes and Staff Beads ready for redecoration.
- Fitting of new sash window catch, sash lifts and sash pulls.
- We can also supply and fit a range of extra security options.
NB With many windows being over 100 years old there is an unavoidable issue with the dust of ages that exists within the boxes. We make every effort to protect your home with fine weave dust sheets for all soft furnishings and electrical equipment and matting to protect hard floor coverings. Particular attention is paid to cleaning up after each day’s work to minimise the inconvenience during the works.
↑ Back to Top ↑